Objectives And Strategies
Street children come to M-Lisada addicted, injured, and lost, but looking for help. Our programs and services can make our children well again, but they do not come without cost. And although M-Lisada contributes to its own upkeep, and carefully monitors all income and expenses, that income fluctuates and is not predictable. The M-Lisada administration cannot always meet all financial obligations. Our donors and sponsors are vital to us. Without them we cannot overcome the continuing challenges:
1. Reclaim, rehabilitate, integrate, and reunite more street children with their families.
An ongoing strategy uses the allure of music, acrobatics, dance, soccer, family visits, referral mechanisms, and counseling to win over the children.
2. M-Lisada is severely overcrowded—our hearts are bigger than our house. Provide additional housing and medical care for more children.
Strategies: Fund-raise for medical supplies; continue with the renovation at M-Lisada and planning of a school and residence in Bombo.
3. Provide academic and vocational education, life skills, and counseling for marginalized children in Uganda.
Strategies: Establish peer-to-peer exchange programs, set up an internship program in the business community for our teens, lobby schools for bursaries, raise funds through musical performances, and develop micro loan programs.
4. Develop capacity building for the staff.
Strategies: Arrange enrollment in professional programs on human rights, child protection, and life skills development.
5. Create awareness about the plight of the street children in Uganda and condemn any acts of violence, discrimination, or gender inequality against these children.
Strategies: Reach people through peer support outreach groups, advocacy workshops, and publications.
6. Provide adequate nutritional food for our children.
Strategy: Teach farming so our children can grow food on our land near Kampala. Fund-raise for monthly donations for food.
7. Replicate M-Lisada's successful and unique combination of guidance, protection, self-sustainability, and music throughout Uganda.
Strategies: Develop collaborations with organizations in other countries. Promote M-Lisada's policies through the use of publications and social media. Continue to develop outreach programs such as the Peer-to-Peer Project and our work at Kampiringisa.